Thursday, March 13, 2014

Discrimination Has No Place In Houston Petition

As you are well aware of TransGriot readers, I'm a proud native Houstonian who has been more than fed up about the lack of a comprehensive non-discrimination ordinance in my beloved hometown.  

In the wake of San Antonio passing theirs on a lopsided 8-3 vote, I have been vocal about wanting the same nice human rights thing on my end of I-10.

Ever since Mayor Parker announced during her January inaugural address that it was time to push for that ordinance, I have not only spoken to City Council (twice and counting) about it, I wanted to make sure that when that push started, the trans community and  the Houston trans community of color had a seat at the table, we ensured transpeople were covered in it and it was a comprehensive ordinance unlike the 1984 one that was sexual orientation only and went down to crushing electoral repeal in 1985. 

And as a proud Houstonian, I'm tired of H-town being the largest Top 5 city in the United States and the largest city in Texas without one.   And I will not accept trans civil rights crumbs just to say we have one, either.

It's past time that Houston added gender identity and sexual orientation to the non-discrimination ordinance and ensures every Houstonian has equal access to employment, housing, and public accommodations inside the 628 square miles of Texas we call home.

Texans Together is collecting signatures (and yes, I've already signed it)  for a petition that would be one of the steps toward making this non discrimination ordinance a reality in my hometown. 

You can click on this link to add your name to this petition.

No comments: