Monday, October 21, 2013

Early Voting Starts For 2013 H-Town City Elections

At 8 AM CDT the polls open for the start of the early voting period for our city elections.  

If you've already made up your mind which candidates you're voting for and not seeing a bunch of TV ads or hearing radio spots isn't going to change it, you can get your vote on from now until November 1 at these various locations around the city and county. 

But if you feel like waiting until November 5 to do so because you need more time to become a better informed voter about the candidates, issues and ballot propositions, then that's all good as well.

Just make sure you cast your ballot before November 5.. 

Because the SCOTUS frakked with Section 4 of the VRA and AG Greg Abbott (R) couldn't wait to do so, the Texas GOP Voter Suppression Act is in place and you will need Photo ID to do so instead of just your yellow voter registration card.

And yeah Greg Abbott, I'm going to take out my pissivity over that GOP voter suppression bull feces out on you next year should you get out of the Teapublican Party primary.   I damned sure don't want your behind sitting in the governor's chair because it's clear you don't care about non-white citizens of Texas or their human rights.

But I have 13 months to riff on him.  Time to get back to focusing on the city elections and the early voting period starting in just a few hours.  

I'm hoping that Mayor Parker gets her third and final term at City Hall and that Jenifer Rene Pool makes history as well in her At Large Position 3 city council race. 

There is a twelve person field jockeying to see who will replace the term limited Wanda Adams (who is running for a seat on the HISD school board) and represent me and the residents of District D on City Council.  I've had conversations with two of the twelve in Assata Richards and Larry McKinzie.   But that decision is going to be a difficult one.

I had a nice chat with Carolyn Evans-Shabazz who is running for an At Large Position 5 city council seat during a recent forum that helped clarify where some of the candidates stood on the issues I felt were important to me and my community.   

But in any case, if you can do so, vote.   I definitely plan to do so, especially since I have an early voting location mere blocks from the house and I've always loved the convenience of voting on my schedule.  


We'll find out November 5 when the ballots are counted who won their seats outright or who will be headed to runoff elections that will take place in December.

No comments: