Sunday, September 05, 2010

Trans Tween's Father Speaks Out

This is a post I came across while doing research for another post I was working on.

It's from Thrive, the Children's Hospital Boston blog and it's part of a series of posts written by the father of a trans tween. As I've pointed out, trans kids are beginning transition at younger ages. That will bring a new set of issues and challenges for those of us who advocate for trans people's civil rights just as the aging of our first wave of trans pioneers will.

Here's a sample of what the trans tween's father had to say in this interesting post.

My 12 year old transgender daughter is my mentor. It’s tough to put into words what a profound impact this small person has had in changing my core values, but since the young age of five, she has unknowingly encouraged me to open my eyes and heart to new ideas. It hasn’t been easy. I’ve watched her experience severe emotional pain and physical frustration, but thanks to support and guidance, I’ve watched as she’s become a confident, happy and healthy child. And as she changed, I changed too.


You can surf over to it by clicking on this link.

No comments: