Thursday, October 01, 2009

First It Was ACORN

TransGriot Note: My friend David Williams in Louisville got this one started. The first two lines are his, the rest are mine. It echoes the famous quote from Pastor Martin Niemoller.

First they came for ACORN, and I did not speak out because I had never benefited from ACORN's services.

Then they came for the Service Employees International Union, and I did not speak out because I was not a union member.

Then they came for the progressive blogosphere, and I did not speak out because I wasn't a blogger.

Then they came for the progressive activists, and I did not speak out because I wasn't an activist.

Then they came for the Democrats, and I did not speak out because I was mad at the Democrats for not being progressive enough.

Then they came for my country, and there was no one left to speak out or stop them from doing so.

No comments: