Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where's 'Big, Bad John'? Not In DC

Once upon a time my home state produced national leaders such as Lyndon Johnson, Lloyd Bentsen, Ralph Yarborough, Barbara Jordan, Mickey Leland, Sam Rayburn and John Tower.

They were people who had vision and had the best interest of our nation at heart, and sometimes took unpopular stands that cost them elections. For example, Ralph Yarborough voted for the 1964 and 1965 Civil Rights Acts, and lost his senate seat in 1970 to Lloyd Bentsen.

I was disappointed when Rick Noriega didn't win his race against John Cornyn back on November 4, thus dooming Texas to piss poor Senate representation for another six years.

But the folks who voted for Noriega can look at the peeps who voted for Cornyn just because he has an (R) behind his name (or for other nefarious reasons) and say 'I told you so.'



So where was 'Big Bad John' when the crucial cloture vote on the stimulus package was being held in DC? This is probably the most important legislation of this century and he's 200 miles away in New York schmoozing with GOP Wall Street donors and media conservatives.

Hang on progressive Texans. It's only a matter of time before the GOP once again is a minority party in our beloved state and it'll be sooner rather than later.

3 comments:

gogojojo said...

Turn Texas Blue! Turn Texas Blue!

Lol. Seriously though. If it didn't mean missing out on a lot of in-state grants/scholarships for graduate school I would never give up my residency in TX. I cannot imagine not being able to vote "against the tide" in TX elections.

Monica Roberts said...

I had the pleasure of 'voting blue' and voting for people like Mark White, Ann Richards, Lloyd Bentsen and seeing the Repugs as a minority party in the Lone Star State.

You will see that again soon.

Stacy Hackenberg said...

I certainly hope we kick the bums out. And soon. I, too, was disappointed when Noriega didn't win. Cornyn seems intent on taking over Bush's position as head twit from Texas. I guess my email to him yesterday to vote Yes on the stimulus package not only feel on deaf ears, as I knew it would, but missed him entirely. Grr.